Several schedules of 5-fluorouracil (FU) and irinotecan (IRI) have been shown to improve overall survival in advanced colorectal cancer (CRC). Preclinical evidence suggests that the sequential administration of IRI and FU produces synergistic activity, although their clinical use has not been fully optimised. We investigated the interaction between short-term exposure to SN-38, the active metabolite of IRI, and prolonged exposure to FU in human CRC HT-29 cells and observed that the synergism of action between the two agents can be increased by extending the time of cell exposure to FU and reducing the interval between administration of the two agents. Based on these findings, we performed a phase I trial in 25 advanced CRC patients using a modified IRI/FU regimen as first-line therapy and evaluated three dose levels of IRI (150-300 mg/m(2)) and two of continuous infusion of FU (800-1000 mg/m(2)) in a 3-weekly schedule. The most severe grade III-IV toxicities were neutropoenia in four cycles and diarrhoea in three. One patient achieved complete response (4%), 12 a partial response (48%), the overall response rate was 52% (+/-20, 95% CI); seven of 25 patients had stable disease (28%), the overall disease control was 80% (+/-16, 95% CI). This modified IRI/FU schedule is feasible and exhibits potentially interesting clinical activity.
|Titolo:||Schedule-Dependent Activity of the 5-Fluorouracil and Irinotecan Combination in the Treatment of Human Colorectal Cancer: In Vitro Evidences and a Phase I Dose-escalating Clinical Trial.|
|Data di pubblicazione:||2007|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||1.1 Articolo in rivista|